Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Jacob and the jeans

Jacob and I had an argument this morning before he caught the bus. I hate when I have to send him off to school after we've had an altercation. I had to ground him for the rest of the week, because of his disobedience. I gave him plenty of warnings, and opportunities to do the right thing, but he wanted to do things his way. Now, I have no problem with him choosing his clothes for school, in fact I like that all of the school clothes he has are things he picked out while we were shopping...So why does he put up a fight when it comes to his jeans??? He has this one pair that are his favorite, and he will wear them every single day if I would let him (without being washed)...I will let him wear them for 2 days in a row without washing, if they are clean enough. But he was sneaking them out of the wash before I had a chance to get them washed! I caught on to it today and insisted that he choose a clean pair from his drawer...and that's how the morning turned into a battle! He has a few pairs of jeans that still have tags on them, that he just will not wear! So after finally giving him the choice of wearing clean pants and not getting into trouble, or wearing the dirty ones that he's worn for who knows how many days in a row and being grounded...He chose the dirty pants and being grounded from playing with friends after school!!! It would have just been for just one day...but he mouthed off to me and ended up getting 4 days of restriction!

I just hope this pickyness doesn't turn into fashion snobbiness in the future. I can just picture him being the kid who wants all designer clothing and shoes by the time he's in middle school! I just want him to be thankful that he has nice things (as much as an 8 year old can be) we have not raised him to care about what kind of shoes he's wearing...but he's learning to be that way from somewhere. I just don't want him to be spoiled...because this morning I saw a glimpse of a spoiled child who cares too much about what's on the outside than what's on the inside, and it scares me!

No comments: